2 - 14 oz packages Frozen Puff Pastry - Rolled to 1/8-inch
- o Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C)
o Line 10-inch spring-form pan with puff pastry, making sure it overlaps the sides.
2 - Small Onions, Chopped
2 - Garlic Cloves, Minced
2 Tbsp Butter
30 oz. Fresh Spinach. (Alternate: 3 x 10 oz packages spinach, thawed & drained very well.)
3/4 lb. Black Forest Ham, Sliced.
1 lb. Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
2 - Red Peppers, Seeded and Diced
8 - Eggs, Beaten
- o Saute onions and garlic in butter.
o Stir in spinach to wilt.
o Layer 1/2 the ham, 1/2 the cheese, 1/2 the red pepper and 1/2 the spinach mixture into the pastry shell.
o Pour in 1/2 of the beaten eggs.
o Layer in the remaining ham, cheese, red pepper and the spinach mixture.
o Pour in the remaining beaten eggs. Pan should be full.
1 - Egg, Beaten to Glaze Pastry
- o Brush edge of pastry with water then cover with remaining pastry.
o Pinch pastry edges to seal and then trim. Slash top pastry to allow steam to escape.
- o Brush top crust with beaten egg.
o Bake at 400 F (205 C) for 15 minutes.
o Reduce heat to 350 F (177 C). Continue baking for 60 - 70 minutes.
o If crust darkens too much, cover with tin foil, but do not seal.
o Cool pie for 15 minutes, then remove spring-form pan. Serve with a fresh salad.
Yield: Serves 6 - 8
1) Impressive, easy to make and tastes terrific! This a sure fire hit.
2) If using frozen spinach, make sure it is VERY well drained. If not, the pie will be very wet when served.